The Congregation of the Daughters of Mary was founded on 8th May 1938. In 1987 the congregation was divided into two Provinces, namely St. Joseph’s Province and St. Mary’s Province. During the Provincial Chapter of St. Joseph’s Province held in November 1999 at the Provincial House in Marthandom, the members of the Chapter discussed the possibility and necessity of forming a new Province /Vice-Province comprising the Kerala region of St. Joseph province for the development and the better co-ordination of the missionary activities over there. In 1999, the members of the Chapter submitted an application during the General Chapter held at the Generalate in Kudappanakkunnu, Trivandrum emphasizing the necessity of restructuring the province.
The General Synaxis approved the application and permission was granted to bifurcate St. Joseph’s Province and to establish a Region with its headquarters at Nellimoodu. Thus the Nellimoodu region came into existence uniting all the convents in the Kerala section of St. Joseph’s province. It was officially declared on 6th November 2000 and Sr.Vimala DM was appointed as the first Regional Superior. Later, in the extraordinary General Synaxis, held in March 2002 at the Generalate, ‘Nellimoodu Region’ was raised to the status of a Province under the name ‘Nirmala Province’.
Due to lack of space and other inconveniences at Nellimoodu, it was decided that the Provincial Headquarters of the Nirmala province to be shifted to Venniyoor. Venniyoor is a village in the Panchayath of Venganoor in Neyyattinkara Taluk. This village is very near to the well-known Vizhinjam port. Nirmala Province was officially inaugurated on August 24, 2002, by His Grace Cyril Mar Baselios the then Archbishop of Trivandrum in the Provincial Chapel at Venniyoor.
The territory of the Nirmala Province consists of the Southern part of Trivandrum District extending from river Karamana to Kalaikkavila, the districts of Kothamangalam, Idukki, Palakkad, Moovatupuzha, and mission stations in Pune-Kadki, New York (USA), Sweyer and Paderborn (Germany).